Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Obsessed

Ever watch that show "Obsessed" on A&E? Well, neither have I, but it sounds like something I'd enjoy. If I was ever on the show it's possible I'd be highlighted for my obsession with text messaging. I'm not as bad as some, but I compulsively check my phone to see if that glorious little green light is blinking at me in the corner. This is when my phone is on silent. And when it's not on silent? If I hear that delightful twinkling sound I can't help but immediately check out what's happening with whoever took the time out of their day to send me a message. It's like a tick.

I've always been kind of socially awkward. I can't stand mingling, forced encounters with new people I feel obligated to be nice to, or talking on the phone. If I must be contacted I much prefer a quick text or email to a phone call. Maybe that's rude of me but the way I see it, an awkward person in the flesh can only exponentially increase in awkwardness on the phone. There are a few exceptions of course, but they are few and far between. If I have ever answered a phone call from you, you are a lucky person indeed (lol).

Anyway a grand catastrophe occurred last night and lasted throughout most of today. It only ended about 5 minutes ago actually. My phone wouldn't text. And not just that...the ONLY person I couldn't text was JAMES. How does that happen?? I could receive his texts and make phone calls and text to anyone else I wanted, yet for nearly 24 hours there was text silence between us because of my lame phone. It was torture, especially since I am on a business trip so texting is our only form of communication until I call James before bed. Needless to say, it was a rough day.

So after we both turned off our phones and then tried again and they stiiiill didn't work (that always works with computers, why not phones too?) I finally called customer service. The customer service rep called me back in my hotel room (creepy because I had to give him my room number...hopefully Verizon Customer Service Headquarters is far, far away from Reno) and tells me to try to send another text to James. So I do. And of course...IT WORKS. I said, "Wow! Did you do something already??" and he said he hadn't. It's just one of those things I guess....like when as soon as your doctor can finally fit you in for an appointment, your once deathly illness is mostly resolved and you look like a whimpy poo-poo (one of my greatest fears), or when you call the maintenance guy about your broken garbage disposal and the note he leaves you is that it worked when he tried it. Am I the only person this type of thing happens to? Am I destined to look a fool? Oh well...I guess if these are my biggest problems I'm a pretty lucky lady :)

3 comments:

  1. My bathroom sink leaked every time I turned the water on when I first moved in, so they called the emergency maintenance guy (on a Saturday) and he came to fix it and it wouldn't leak for him. To make matters worse - I finally had gotten tired of waiting for him to get ready, so he came when I was in the shower... of course. He thought I was ridiculous on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, that's just how I feel about social situations. I guess you come by it naturally. . . sorry :/ But I think you're much better at managing it than you think. You are a totally fun person and that's what comes out. You just don't feel like it does. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning! I so feel your pain. I am not much of a texter but I have a sister that is so with you on the social aspect. Although I must admit on the weekends I do text instead of having to actually talk on phone. Enjoy the day now that you can again text successfully to your hubby. Lori @your dad's office

    ReplyDelete