Friday, March 18, 2011

A Dangerous Hobby

Ever have someone ask you that awkward question, "So, what do you like to do for fun?" I hate that question. Maybe it's the weird looks I get when I answer, "Crochet and watch movies with my mom," or the disapproving glares when my response is, "I really enjoy reality TV." I suppose the question might not be so awkward for someone who enjoys cliff-diving...or someone who sails every weekend out in the deep blue sea and has a leathery tan face to prove it...or a person who volunteers at a homeless shelter every night. You can't judge someone with hobbies so cool and admirable.

I guess hobbies are one thing that contribute to our uniqueness though. I mean, you can't help what you like. I certainly didn't judge the young woman I met on my cruise last May when she shared her passion for hula-hooping. Weird? Yes. But also pretty cool. Even though the hobbies I do have are sometimes embarrassing to share, there is one that tops them all that I will never reveal to someone I have just met and am still trying to impress. But for you guys, I will make my confession.

I...love...Symptom Checker on WebMD.com. Nearly every time I have an itch, an outch or anything else out of the ordinary I log on and see what new disease I have. It's great because I can find out if it's serious enough to see the doctor or if there are ways I can make it better from home. But it doesn't always end so well. Often I log off convinced that I have a brain tumor or that my arm needs to be amputated. Once my virginal friend with the same hobby became certain that she was pregnant. Her symptom? The sniffles. It's a dangerous, dangerous game we play on WebMD. I say, search your symptoms with caution. And don't always believe what you read on the Internet. Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE WebMD. I was able to diagnose my shingles from the website (and tell my husband it was not just a rash). I also have not cool hobbies, reading and knitting. Enjoy your weekend. Happy car shopping. Lori

    ReplyDelete