Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Fruits and Veggies

I am one of the most unhealthy eaters that I know.  As I mentioned about a year ago in this post I am very picky.  Foods that top my loved-and-often-consumed list include anything at Taco Bell, ice cream, cake, Cheese-its, Doritos, pizza, etc.  You get the idea.  I love me some junk.

About a month ago I had a sort of epiphany while chatting with two of my friends: my eating habits are gross!  And what I'm eating is directly affecting how I feel.  And it's completely within my ability to change that.  So I set myself on a new path and started off small so as not to freak myself out which would inevitably lead to me giving up.  Instead I thought of three small, reasonable things that I could immediately change:

1) Stop drinking soda

2) Eat an apple a day

3) Switch from regular yogurt to Greek yogurt

Baby steps people.  As luck would have it, James' health nut friend ended up staying at our apartment for a few nights during my revelation process.  He introduced us to the Magic Bullet and now I'm a smoothie making machine!!  Every day I drink a smoothie consisting of fresh spinach, pure orange juice, and a banana.  If you know me at all, you know that I do not enjoy 2 out of 3 of these items.  But somehow together, they are pure deliciousness.  And every once in a while I'll spice it up by adding something else like blueberries or raspberries. I usually make it my afternoon or after-run snack.

I'm enjoying this, I promise.

In order to make sure that I continue on this path of (somewhat) healthiness I decided not to restrict myself from eating anything.  I am allowing myself to still have dessert as long as I've eaten lots of fruits and veggies throughout the day.  And, shockingly I've found that I am so satisfied by the healthy stuff I've been eating that I am not craving the extra stuff as much.  Apparently my body is pleased to have vitamins inside it.  The best part of the whole thing is that I went into it just wanting to feel better, healthier...and after two weeks I had actually lost 3 lbs.  I know it's not much, but it still makes me happy!! Of course, after birthday week I've gained 1 back.  Whoops!!

My next healthy endeavor is....dun dun dun...flossing daily!! I'm on day three and so far my gums hate me.  I hope this gets better soon!

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome, you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome! You look just like your mom in that photo!!!! One day people will say that to Harper when she posts pictures of herself. :)

    ReplyDelete