Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Passive Aggressive

You know that dinosaur from Toy Story? Do you remember when he says, "I don't like confrontation!"? For some reason that line has sort of become a family joke...or maybe I'm the only one who remembers that we used to say it from time to time when making tough decisions...but even so, it's still pretty relevant to my family. For the most part we are a passive aggressive bunch. Instead of confronting each other about issues that we may have, we lean towards the tried and true methods of sending a strongly worded email or making a rude comment under our breath as we walk out of the room. It works for the most part...we get our point across and without an awkward fight. I have become a pro at these techniques, and while this may not be a good thing, I just can't help myself.

The latest manifestation of my passive aggressiveness has been posting reviews online of people, places, or products that have irked me. Here are a few examples.

1) My apartment complex. Unfortunately my apartment complex is the only reasonably priced complex in the area for units with a washer and dryer, so I have stayed for over two years. However, I repeatedly have parking issues and other miscellaneous problems with the incompetent management staff. It's been frustrating to say the least. My lease ends in February and I will be out of there for good!!



2) My new jeans. It's true, I could have just returned the jeans, but I felt it was my duty to inform the Old Navy shoppers of the world about this faulty product. See below.



3) I had intended to write a review about my first wedding venue, however James talked me out of it. Writing an awful review about the venue owners who totally screwed us would probably feel really satisfying...however it is just feeding the rage. James suggested another method...just forgetting about and moving on...and even though I reaaaally want to hurt those jerks, I think he's right. So this is the last time I will talk about them or how they treated us...hopefully. It's kind of hard to let something like that go, but I'm going to try.

I guess there comes a point when warning other people to stay away from the product/person/place where you experienced trouble is not just to help others avoid the same problems, but instead is just an outlet for your own anger and resentment. While I am not necessarily convinced that this is a bad thing, I'm going to think twice next time and possibly try out some new methods...like aggressive aggressiveness. That sounds like it could be satisfying :)

3 comments:

  1. you should write my apartment review for me... preferably using words like "stinky" hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally wouldn't get it if you just said something rude under your breath to me. You'd have to spell it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I passive aggressive? I've never thought about our family being that way.

    I think your reviews were great! That's not being passive aggressive, that is telling others what your experience was like and whether you'd suggest it or not. I'd say go for the negative review of the venue if only to warn others that the owners are not flexible.

    I gave a negative review for a seller on Ebay and she was pissed! But she ripped me off on shipping! I just wanted others to know that she'd probably rip them off too.

    ReplyDelete