Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Time to Vent

I'm not sure how much this will make sense to anyone else, but I just need to vent about work for a brief moment.

The other day Good Morning America had someone on the show talking about how everyone in life is searching for balance, but it's so hard to find. I think the person was trying to promote a new book or something. Anyway, their statement really applies to my line of work. All I want is balance, people. Give me balance and I probably wouldn't bug my clients nearly as much.

Here's the thing. I'm an auditor. I look at our clients' financial statements to make sure they are correct. When they are not, I figure out what in the world they did to screw it up, then I tell them how to fix it. So basically all day I am correcting the mistakes of incompetent bookkeepers. I'm not trying to claim that I am an all-knowing accountant by any means, but I did get an A in Financial Accounting and you learn basically all you need to know to function as a bookkeeper in that class, yet it still astounds me when my clients have no concept of debits and credits. Seriously people?? How can I fix your retarded mistakes if you don't even know what in the world you're entering into the computer??? When you are recording some revenue, you have to either book the same amount as cash or accounts receivable. The EXACT SAME AMOUNT. It's called double-entry bookkeeping and guess what its purpose is? To keep you in BALANCE.

We have performed four audits so far this year and three out of these four clients have given me financial statements that do not balance. Really, people? How is that even possible?? The first financial statement you give me is called the BALANCE SHEET for goodness sake. IT SHOULD BALANCE!! ARRRRRGGGGGH. I just can't work like this.

3 comments:

  1. and there you have a word for over your bed. balance. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will put it up a little crooked just for some irony.

    ReplyDelete