Friday, January 14, 2011

Fashionista Wannabe

As stated in a previous post, I have no style. I'm aware of it. What I didn't mention earlier was that it's not just in regards to interior design...it's also regarding my wardrobe. As hard as I try, and with as much as I enjoy shopping, I really have no clue what I'm doing each time I get dressed in the morning. Jeans and a plain shirt is my go to outfit...but accessorizing? Forget it. If I get a new pair of shoes that I love, I wear them with everything, regardless of whether or not they go with the rest of my get up. If I'm wearing a black outfit and all of my necessities are in my brown purse, I don't bother doing a purse switch...but I cringe knowing I must look a fool.

Casual wear is one thing, but work clothes are where I really hit a brick wall. For example, today I am wearing a dress. Sounds nice right? Well, it's actually a dress I bought for the honeymoon. Today I threw a cardigan over it and slipped into some flats and called it work appropriate. I'm not sure its long enough so I'm trying to stay seated with my legs under my desk as much as possible today.

My idea of looking professional is wearing a button up collared shirt and some close-toed shoes. I know there must be more to it, but I really just can't figure it out. To add to my stress, my boss allows us to wear jeans when we are staying in the office, yet he still expects us to look professional. Typically the top half of me looks professional in my button up collared shirt and I keep my skinny jean wearing legs and boot clad feet hidden under my desk. Hiding my inappropriate-for-work outfits under my desk is a common occurrence. Obviously.

When we are working out of the office, which is extremely common between the months of January and April, we can't wear jeans and must look professional from head to toe. Usually I just replace my jeans with a pair of black slacks and call it a day, but typically I end up looking frumpy and like a wannabe professional chick. At some of the more corporate offices we go to, the women wear tight pencil skirts with tucked in ruffly shirts and high heels and they look faaaabulous. I know I could never pull that off though. Not only do I hate wearing heels for long periods of time, but my boss is already about a head shorter than I am when I'm wearing flats. Awkward. So the heels are out which seem to make any outfit instantly hotter. Bummer.

At some other offices we work at the women wear Juicy Couture sweat suits and bring their dogs in to keep them company. Now THAT is a look I could pull off. I know Mayo is dying to see my office too. But alas, sweats are not in our dress code. I also doubt that rats are permitted.

This weekend I'm going work clothes shopping with my ma. Can anyone give me some ideas before I head out to the crazy and confusing world that is the Vintage Faire Mall? I'm tired of being the frumpy wannabe professional but still trying to look young and cool girl. I need tips people. Like, specific advice. As in, send me links to specific things that I should purchase this weekend along with the appropriate shoes and accessories to pull it all together. Please?

No comments:

Post a Comment