Monday, August 15, 2011

Talking About the Weather

Ventura is a weird, weird place to live. Weather-wise at least. It's technically Southern California and it's on the beach...but it's not your typical So Cal beach town because the sun pretty much only comes out here between October and May. And for most of that time period, it's cold. And not beachy. So for the summers we're pretty much socked in by a giant marine layer cloud of overcastness. And, seeing as I'm at work all day and sunny days make me a little sad to be stuck in my office, I quite like the weather arrangement we have going on here currently. Especially since I have a not so secret love affair going on with cardigans and I can pretty much wear them year-round here. This place is ideal for jean loving folks who like to hide jiggly legs and pasty body parts whenever possible. Ahhh, I love me a Ventura summer.

But it's tricky, because this kind of weather makes me think it's Fall. And I LOVE fall. I wake up in the morning, check the density of the clouds to determine the thickness of the cardigan I need to put on, and then I just want to curl up with a pumpkin-spice latte, shop online for sweaters, and gab about Thanksgiving and Christmas plans. I love you Fall. But if this year is anything like last year, as soon as I stock up on a fresh batch of sweaters and snuggly sweatpants, get all my goods together for a bake fest, and start airing out my sorely missed Uggs, October will roll around and with it the summer heat we have been missing for the last four months. That's about the only thing Ventura has in common with the rest of Southern California. There is no Fall here. The leaves don't change colors. It heats up instead of cooling down. Only Frappuccino drinking can be tolerated until about mid November. Well, I guess I should say there's no Fall here, except during Summer.

I'm excited for the real Fall to get here. And to go to Modesto so I can actually get some good Fall weather while enjoying fun Fall activities. But for now, I'm going to just try to savor the rest of fake Fall here in Ven. Because I have to say I think I might love fake Fall almost as much as real Fall. Even though it's weird.

2 comments:

  1. That's totally the classic beach town weather. I love it and it's remarkably similar to a Seattle summer. But, fall will be fall as well and winter will be (gulp!) winter. I'm scared. We'll see how we do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does it snow in Seattle?? Ack!!

    ReplyDelete