Monday, July 16, 2012

Small Town Living

Corning is a pretty small town.  Sure there are two Walmarts, but that's only because there is nothing else.  It started to hit me how really small it is though this past week:

- James and I went shopping at Old Navy.  I bought a shirt.  The woman in front of us in line bought the same shirt in another color.  The next day we ran into her.  We were both wearing the same new shirt.  Meh.

-I applied for two jobs.  At Job A, I would be the bookkeeper for a real estate company.  At Job B I would be one of many bookkeepers at a large accounting firm.  I got an interview at Job A.  I went to said interview, and was asked to come for a second one.  The point of the second interview was to meet with the accounting firm that is currently doing the bookkeeping...the accounting firm that I would be replacing if I got hired...just to make sure everyone agreed I was up to the task.  Turns out that the accounting firm doing the bookkeeping for Job A is Job B.  Awkward.  Not only that, but the person I interviewed with for Job A is the exact person I sent my resume to for Job B.  I realize this is confusing...but just take my word for it...this could only happen in a small town.

I'm sure there will be many other cases like this in the future...maybe it will be a good thing...I'm not quite sure yet.  All I know is that it sure is different from what I'm used to.

1 comment: